Skip to content

Get an Opal card

Adult and Child/Youth Opal cards

It's easy to get an Adult or Child/Youth Opal card:

Gold Senior/Pensioner Opal card

Apply online and make sure you have your NSW or ACT Seniors, Pensioner Concession or NSW War Widow/er card handy to confirm your eligibility. 

If you’re a senior coming from interstate with an Australian State or Territory Government issued Seniors Card and don’t hold a Pensioner Concession card, you cannot apply online or by phone. You can find out more details on how to apply here

If you're an eligible asylum seeker you can apply online. Find out more about how to apply.

For help in your language, call the Translating and Interpreting Service on 131 450.

Concession Opal card

 Eligible tertiary students

Apply online for the Concession Opal card.

See the full list of participating universities and tertiary institutions to confirm you are an eligible student at a participating tertiary institution in NSW.

You'll need to give your consent for your institution to share your details with Transport for NSW. Find out more.

 ^May vary depending on the tertiary institution and circumstances. If you’re not sure, please contact your institution.

Eligible apprentices and trainees

First you'll need to apply for a Transport Concession Entitlement Card. Then with your TCID number handy apply online for your Concession Opal card.

Find out more

Eligible job seekers and other approved Centrelink customers

Before applying online for your Concession Opal card, you need to have successfully applied for a Transport Concession Entitlement Card, as you must have both cards to travel. Find out more, including how to apply online.

Concession Entitlement Card

Make sure you have a valid Centrelink Reference Number (CRN) handy to confirm your eligibility.

Find out more

School Opal card

We’ve launched the School Opal card for eligible school students, providing free travel on public transport between home and school on trains, buses and ferries within the Opal network. 

Find out more

How to apply?

Step 1

Complete the application form.

Step 2

Submit the application form to your school for endorsement.

Step 3

Your school sends the endorsed application to Transport for NSW. Once approved, the School Opal card will be sent to the home address you provided in the application.

Note: Parents must apply for students aged 15 and under. Students must apply if aged 16 and over. 

Top up your Opal card before you travel

If you don’t add value when ordering your Opal card, you’ll need to add value to it before you travel.

Find out more about topping up.