Opal for veterans
Travelling with Opal
A free travel Opal card gives you free travel across Sydney and the Blue Mountains, Central Coast, Hunter, Illawarra and Southern Highlands on public transport services including:
- All Sydney Trains services
- All NSW TrainLink Intercity services
- All buses in Sydney and the Blue Mountains, Central Coast, Hunter and Illawarra
- All Sydney Ferries and the Stockton Ferry in Newcastle
- Light rail
Who can apply?
The free travel Opal card is available for the following eligible ex-members of the Defence Forces and if you have one of the passes pictured you can travel for free with Opal.
Ex-members of the Defence Forces with a disability who :
- Are residing permanently in NSW
- Are war veterans from Australia, New Zealand or a WWII Allied Nation having reciprocal pension rights with Australia and
- Have been rated by the Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA) as having a service-related disability of 10% or greater for which you receive a disability pension or
- Are receiving periodic payments or have received a lump sum payment from DVA for permanent impairment compensation, and your overall impairment points determined under the Military Rehabilitation & Compensation Act relating to overseas warlike and non-warlike service are 10 points or higher.
Ex-member of the Defence Forces
Transport Concession Entitlement Card
- Are Australian or NZ war veterans residing permanently in NSW
- Receive a disability pension from the DVA
- Have been classified by DVA as Blinded Soldiers due to war service.
NSW Blinded Soldier Pass
NSW widows or widowers of the First World War 1 Veterans
NSW Victoria Cross and George Cross recipients and their widows or widowers
Word War 1 Veterans
Widows Free Pass
Travelling with an attendant
If you travel with an attendant you'll receive an Opal card for them separately that’s marked for their use.
How to apply
There are several easy ways to apply for a free travel Opal card for ex-members of the Defence Forces:
- Call 131 500
If you already have a travel entitlement pass, and you’re an eligible ex-member of the Defence Forces, you can call 131 500 to apply for a free travel Opal card quoting your name, address and date of birth to apply for your free travel Opal card.
- Email email@example.com with ‘Ex-Defence’ in the subject line, quoting your name, address and date of birth in the email.
If you’re an eligible ex-member of the Defence Forces with a disability apply here.
For other eligible ex-members of the Defence Forces, download the Ex-Defence Force Travel Pass application form, fill it in and send it, with two passport-sized photographs, to:
Transport for NSW
Locked Bag 5085,
Parramatta NSW 2124
Tap on and tap off
For Veterans with a free travel Opal card, tapping on and tapping off isn’t compulsory, however, you can open station and wharf gates by tapping on and tapping off with your Opal card. To tap on and tap off simply hold your Opal card against the Opal card reader. Listen for the single “ding” and check the display to confirm you’ve tapped on and tapped off correctly. If you need help just ask Transport staff.
Sydney Airport station access fee
For travel to and from Sydney Airport stations transport staff will need to open the gates for you. Depending on the details outlined in the letter that Transport for NSW sent you with your entitlement card, you and your attendant may need to pay a Sydney Airport station access fee as the airport stations are privately owned.