Opal fare changes
We've made fares fairer for everyone
The fare structure of the Opal system has changed.
These changes are in response to recent Independent Pricing and Regulatory Authority (IPART) recommendations. However, not all IPART recommendations are being implemented. The changes will encourage customers to use public transport for every stage of their journey and make fares fairer for everyone who uses public transport.
New Opal Transfer Discount
If you travel with an Adult Opal card you will get a $2 discount for each transfer you make between modes (train, ferry, bus or light rail) within one journey.
If you travel with a Child/Youth, Concession or Gold Senior/Pensioner Opal card, you’ll get a $1 discount for each transfer you make between modes (train, ferry, bus or light rail) within one journey.
- Transfers must occur within 60 minutes of the last tap off. When travelling on the F1 Manly Ferry service the transfer time is 130 minutes from tap on.
- The Opal Transfer Discount applies to every single transfer. So if you travel by bus, train and then by bus again in one journey you’ll make two transfers, which means you’ll save $4 (or $2 for children and other Opal cards).
- If you transfer to the same mode, for example bus to bus, you won’t get the Opal Transfer Discount. Instead the Opal 60-minute transfer will apply.
- Stockton Ferry to bus transfers are currently considered the same mode. In this case the Opal 60-minute transfer will apply.
How your Opal Transfer Discount will look on an online statement
Example of an Opal Transfer Discount for a bus to train transfer on an Adult Opal card during peak period
Weekly Travel Reward
The Weekly Travel Reward is earned after eight paid journeys each week and gives you half-price travel for the rest of the week.
- The Opal week runs from Monday to Sunday.
- The Weekly Travel Reward doesn’t include the Sydney Airport station access fee.
How your Weekly Travel Reward will look on your online statement
Example of Weekly Travel Reward for a train to ferry transfer on an Adult Opal card during peak period
What stays the same?
- No Opal card fare changes. Opal card fares will be frozen until July 2017. So train and ferry fares will remain the same as they have since January 2015 and buses and light rail since 2014.
- No changes to the eligibility for travelling with a Gold Opal Card.
- No changes to the Gold Opal card $2.50 daily cap.
- No changes to Daily Travel Caps. The daily fare caps are still $15 for Adult Opal customers and $7.50 for Child/Youth and Concession Opal card customers. The Sunday fare cap is still $2.50 for all Opal customers.
- No changes to Weekly Travel Caps. The weekly fare caps are still $60 for Adult Opal customers, $30 for Child/Youth and Concession Opal card customers, and $17.50 for Gold Opal card customers.
- No changes to off-peak train fares. You will continue to save 30% on train fares off-peak.
- No changes to the 60-minute transfer. If you make several trips on the same mode of transport and transfer within 60 minutes you will still pay only one fare based on distance travelled.