The smarter way to get to school
The School Opal card
The School Opal card gives eligible school students free or subsidised travel on public transport between home and school on trains, buses, ferries and light rail in the Opal network.
Already have a School Opal card? Keep it for next year
Don’t throw out this year’s School Opal card because eligible cards will be automatically updated for the new school year.
Don’t forget a Child/Youth Opal card
It’s important to remember that the School Opal card is only for travel to and from school on school days and doesn’t cover travel to After School Care, school excursions, sport and other activities away from school, so it’s a good idea to get a Child/Youth Opal card for personal travel.
Child/Youth Opal card benefits
- Child/Youth Opal fares are half the price of Adult fares*
- Never pay more than $7.50* per day Monday to Saturday
- Never pay more than $2.50* on Sundays
- After eight paid journeys you travel for half the price with Opal - thanks to the Weekly Travel Reward*.
* Excludes Sydney Airport station access fee.
Applying for a School Opal card
To apply for a School Opal card, you will need to live a minimum distance from your school to be eligible:
Years K-2 (Infants)
No minimum distance.
Years 3-6 (Primary)
1.6km straight line distance or 2.3km walking or further.
Years 7-12 (Secondary)
2km straight line distance or 2.9km walking or further.
Who needs to apply?
You will only need to make a new application if:
- Applying for a School Opal card for the first time
- Enrolling in Kindergarten
- Requesting an additional pass as a result of a new shared parental responsibility (joint custody) situation.
If you do need to apply, the application must be made by a parent or legal guardian if you are under 16 years of age. If you are 16 years or older you need to complete and sign the application form yourself. Applications are subject to eligibility criteria.
You will need to update your application if you have a current School Opal card and:
- Are progressing from Year 2 to year 3
- Are progressing from Year 6 to Year 7
- Your circumstances change, e.g. change of school, home address or school year outside of the usual progression.
Transport operators will allow a grace period at the start of the new school year to give time for you to receive your School Opal card.
How to apply
There are two different application forms – one to apply for a new School Opal card and one to update your details, for example changing schools (other than moving from Years 2 to 3 or Years 6 to 7), your address or your name.
Choose the one below that applies to you:
- If you’re applying for a new School Opal card complete this application form
- If your details have changed complete this application to update form
The school endorses your application. You will be advised if you need to do anything further when you have completed your online application.
Transport for NSW then processes the application. Once approved, the School Opal card will be sent to the home address you provided in the application.
Remember: Parents must apply for students aged 15 and under. Students must apply if aged 16 and over.